Location: The Wenlock School, Dudley.
Salary: Up to £19,000 dependent on experience
Hours: Full Time, Monday to Friday
Contract: Permanent, term time only + 2 weeks
As part of our continued growth, we have a fantastic opportunity for a School Chef to join our close-knit team at The Wenlock School. If you are looking to join a dedicated team in a school that will welcome your ideas and re-engage our young people, we would like to hear from you.
The Wenlock School opened in September 2018. We are a co-educational day school catering for pupils aged 7-18 with a range of complex needs including a range of social, emotional and mental health needs and also pupils who have been diagnosed with autism or demonstrate behaviours associated with autism. You will contribute to making Wenlock School an Outstanding provision and a leading light for our young people and their families. We provide a therapeutic, supportive and inclusive learning environment and are committed to raising achievement and enabling pupils to recognise their potential and supporting them through a personalised, engaging curriculum. Our priority is to develop the foundation knowledge and skills required to make a manageable and smooth transition to the next life stage.
About the Role:
The school kitchen is a very busy and fast paced environment. We are looking for a School Chef to prepare and cook for pupils and our staff team at The Wenlock School whilst being responsible for the day to day management of our Catering services. Managing and maintaining a high standard of practice and hygiene in accordance with current quality standards, in all aspects of food preparation, which will contribute to the quality of care of each pupil. The successful candidate will also be responsible for designing menus and ensuring food allergies/intolerances are considered.
- Responsible for the quality of catering provided, working within the financial and operational standards required and maintaining a high level of service to The Wenlock School;
- Responsible for food procurement, supplier relationships, stock control and monitor standards to ensure provision costs are in line with budgetary requirements. Ensure that competitive rates are maintained for the provision of services and products and undertake regular benchmarking to ensure value for money objectives are achieved;
- To cook in the kitchen providing a resourceful hands-on approach and manage the day to day administration of the Catering Department;
- To be responsible for Health & Safety in relation to staff and catering areas and ensure all requirements of food hygiene, HACPP and COSHH legislations are operated within the department. Undertake risk assessments for the department as needed and promote compliance at all times;
- Plan menus to provided meals in accordance to pupil’s dietary needs i.e. dairy free, nut free, gluten free etc.
- Advise on and produce information with regard to developments within the catering industry and to keep abreast of new regulations that are associated with the food industry.
- To supervise all staff that may be employed in the development of the Catering Department (and to be involved with staff development, training, motivation and disciple within the department, the planning, allocation and evaluation of work carried out by individuals and provide feedback and recognition to staff on their performance);
- You and the kitchen staff to attend training courses as required by The Wenlock School.
- Maintain an appropriate awareness of and work effectively within the policies and procedures of The Wenlock School, participating in appropriate processes, e.g. Appraisal, Continuing Professional Development etc.;
- To be aware of and work within the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and all related legislation and best practice;
- To undertake any other duties as may be reasonably required commensurable within the role.
Who are we looking for?
You will have experience and a basic knowledge of food hygiene and food preparation skills. Additionally, you will have the ability to work in a pressured environment as well as an understanding of the importance of 'Child Protection and Safeguarding' issues when working in a school setting. Any person working in a school must hold an enhanced DBS check.
The ability to contribute to the development of our school is essential and we believe that energy, passion and a commitment to high standards are key characteristics required. This is an opportunity for the successful candidate to develop their skills and experience in a challenging, motivating and highly rewarding environment. Previous experience of working in a food environment is essential, excellent support skills and the right motivation, personal qualities and levels of resilience are also just as important.
This position is due to commence in December 2020 or sooner (subject to approved reference/DBS checks).
Applications are invited online through the Acorn Care and Education website www.acorncare.co.uk If you have any further queries regarding how to apply please contact the Headteacher, Gemma Mann on 01384 884883 or email us on email@example.com
Acorn Education and Care are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All successful applicants will be subject to an Enhanced DBS Check