School Business Manager
- Job Title: School Business Manger
- Salary: £27000.00
- Location: New Barn School, Newbury, Berkshire.
- Hours: Mon-Fri 8.30-4.30
- Contract: Permanent
About the School
The New Barn is an Ofsted ‘Good’ rated School. It offers a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum to boys and girls, aged 16 – 19 years who have Social, Emotional and Mental Health complexities. New Barn School takes full advantage of its beautiful settings and fosters a love for using the outdoor curriculum including forest school, farm experiences and horse riding. The School is within a commutable distance of Swindon, Oxford, Andover, Basingstoke and Reading and other surrounding towns and villages.
Group Children’s Services is a national provider of specialist therapeutic children’s homes and schools for boys and girls with social, emotional and mental health difficulties (SEMH). Our services offer a stable, secure and supportive environment, in which the children and young people we care for can develop the skills and confidence necessary to help them fulfil their potential
To provide strategic assistance to the Principal in order to support the growth plans of The New Barn School
The post-holder will:
- Take a strategic lead over support services and support staff and line manage the Site Maintenance Manager, HR Manager, Catering Manager, Housekeeper and the Administration Assistant.
- Provide financial support to New Barn School and the associated residential care provisions in accordance with the New Barn School requirements.
- Ensure that safe, high quality learning environments are maintained for our staff and young people
- Oversee and manage the effective maintenance and development of the buildings, the IT infrastructure and the school environment ensuring quality and value for money in the provision of support services.
- To provide strategic assistance to the Principal in order to support the growth plans of New Barn School
- To provide hands on support to the Administration Assistant and to produce accurate monthly accounts on a timely basis
- Create, document and develop systems and procedures to safeguard the assets and control the liabilities of the business
- Ensure effective management and development of the staff that maintain, clean and cook food at the school to ensure that complete and reliable services are maintained and the provision of high-quality facilities management
- Maintain close links with the schools and care homes, key staff and departments and support the effective planning and monitoring of departmental budgets
- Progressively develop the facilities and support services to complement the education, care and therapeutic aims of the school.
- The School & Care Business Manager will be a member of the Senior Leadership Team and will report to the Principal.
- The post-holder will liaise and work closely with the New Barn School of Finance to ensure the effective control and monitoring of income and expenditure across the organisation and the National Facilities & Construction Manager to ensure that safe, high quality learning environments are maintained for our staff and young people.
- Support the Principal, Registered Managers and Head of Education in setting, planning and monitoring expenditure and capital budgets.
- Ensure that the nominal, sales, purchase and fixed asset ledgers accurately reflect the results of the business.
- Produce weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports and accounts in accordance with the requirements and direction of the New Barn School
- of Finance and also to support local decision making.
- Ensure that salaries are determined accurately and paid on time
- Ensure payment terms and prices from key suppliers are reviewed and agreed on a best value basis.
- Work with the school and care management teams to implement and maintain effective cost control and budget monitoring within their area of responsibility.
- Work with the company auditors to ensure that all audit trails are in place and documentation is complete.
- Report on key performance measurements for the school.
- Have responsibility for Petty Cash providing monies for the recreational activities and ongoing needs of the pupils and their Care staff.
- Ensure that the cleaning and domestic staff are meeting high levels of cleanliness and maintaining hygiene standards throughout the buildings
- Ensure that the maintenance staff are fully dealing with planned maintenance and reactive maintenance on a prompt and efficient basis
- Supervise and support the Facilities Manager, the Domestic Supervisor and IT co-coordinator, including the development of programmes of work and detailed schedules.
- Ensure that the catering staff are supported and given direction on a tactical basis.
- Develop and implement policies, procedures and practice to ensure that pupils are transported safely by public and private transport and access to an appropriate fleet of vehicles.
- Ensure staff are trained and competent in the safe and effective use of company vehicles and that the New Barn School complies with all legislative and insurance requirements with regard to the use and maintenance of company transport.
- Oversee staff accommodation, including the allocation of accommodation and ensuring appropriate agreements are in place.
- General Responsibilities:
- Co-operate with all staff in maintaining good relationships with outside agencies and the general public in order to uphold New Barn Schools image
- Ensure that your conduct within and outside New Barn School does not conflict with the professional expectations of New Barn School
- Work in partnership with colleagues and other professionals, as required, to meet the social, emotional, education, health and mental health needs of the children, young people and yourself
- Ensure the respect, dignity and rights to privacy of the children and young people as far as possible
- Carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, the title of the post and its grading as requested by the Principal
New Barn School are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All successful applicants will be subject to fully Enhanced DBS.
We expect all our employees and volunteers to share this commitment and strive to achieve the best possible outcomes for everybody in our care. A full application form must be completed with all employment dates accurate and gaps in employment accounted for.